Homeowner should be aware of some of the common mistakes made in shingle roofing repair:
1. Inadequate or faulty base: A surface repair does not address problems that arise from damaged decking or improperly installed underlayment. For best results, roof shingles should be removed so that an examination of the deck and sheathing can be conducted.
2. Incorrectly installed shingles: Proper alignment of shingles, especially the starter course, is critical for a successful repair job. Care should be taken to offset joints and to be sure shingles lay flat. Ignoring these considerations may lead to the development of leaks that are hard to detect until serious damage is done.
3. Improper or not enough fastening: A good repair job depends on decking, underlayment and shingles that are all properly attached. Inadequate fastening allows wind to raise shingles, moisture to work its way through the layers, and leaks to develop.
4. Poorly installed flashing: Flashing is needed to channel moisture away from critical areas. Adequate flashing in valleys and around chimneys, skylights, vents, and satellite dish installations keep these vulnerable areas from allowing water to penetrate the roof.
5. Ignoring manufacturers’ specifications: Failure to follow guidelines may void manufacturers’ warranties. Proper preparation and installation assures a quality repair job and maintains the warranty.
Hiring a reputable, licensed roofing contractor like Urbach Roofing, Inc. is the best way for homeowners to avoid the pitfalls of a poor shingle roofing repair. With over 45 years of experience in roof repair and installation, we make sure the job is done right, with quality products and following industry-leading standards and manufacturer specifications.