Selecting a properly licensed, certified and high-quality roofing contractor is important and often a difficult task for consumers who are unfamiliar with the roofing industry. It is important to select certified roofers who will be in business to honor their warranty in the future. There are many roofing contractors who are not certified and have both low-quality installations and poor workmanship. The average start-up business is usually closed within three years and may be out of business when potential roofing problem could arise.
The following are tips and important questions that can help you select a professional roofing contractor…
- How long has the company been in business?
An established company will most likely be around in the future should any problems arise.
- Does the contractor have a permanent business office address, phone, and email?
An established contractor should be able to provide a business address, phone, and email. A permanent business address is a sign of a stable company.
- Does the contractor use subcontractors?
Subcontractors are often paid on a per job basis, which can result in poor workmanship as the job is completed as fast as possible.
- Does the company supply a written contract and estimate (and do they require a deposit)?
All job specifications and prices should be supplied in writing. Established companies with strong financial stability usually only require the California maximum deposit of 10% or $1,000 whichever is less. Deposits are common but be wary of any contractor requesting more than the law permits.
- Check to see if the company is a member of the Better Business Bureau and the local Chamber of Commerce.
Research all potential contractors on the Better Business Bureau and your local Chamber of Commerce. Check for the overall business rating and keep in mind the general size of the company when checking for complaints.
- Does the company have a license to perform the contracted work, workers compensation insurance and liability insurance?
This is important as an established company should have a Contractors License, workers compensation insurance and liability insurance.
- Check to see if the contractor is part of local and national industry associations.
A strong established contractor should be a member of trade associations. Look for associations such as the San Diego Roofing Contractors Association, Western States Roofing Contractors Association, Certified Contractors Network, and National Roofing Contractors Association.
- Look for a contractor who is a certified installer of the products they offer.
Certified contractors can offer stronger warranties on the products they install and follow stricter installation guidelines.
- Look for a contractor who stands behind their work with a Workmanship Warranty.
A contractor who offers a workmanship warranty will be able to address a serious problem quickly giving existing customers priority, should any problems arise.
- Ask the contractor for references of previous customers.
An established company should have a long list of satisfied customers who are willing to be contacted.
Never decide on price alone. A self-proclaimed handymen or unlicensed and uninsured company can provide a lower price and substandard workmanship. Always look for differences in materials and job specifications when comparing quotes.
Contact Us for a Professional Roofing Quote!
URBACH ROOFING, INC.
445 PRODUCTION STREET, SAN MARCOS, CA 92078
Most people don’t spend too much time thinking about the condition of their roof. But, the old expression “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” certainly applies when it comes to roofing maintenance. The costs associated with routine maintenance of your roof doesn’t amount to much; the costs of ignoring routine maintenance, however, can be significant.
In the long run, you will save money with regular maintenance done now!
10 Things You Can Do Now
Here are a few tips for keeping your roof in tip-top condition:
- Trim back trees. To prevent damage to your shingles, trim back and remove overhanging tree branches or those getting close to your roof.
- Keep gutters clear. Leaves and other miscellaneous debris can clog your gutter system, allowing water to back up into the attic or living areas of your home. It’s a good idea to check your gutters at least twice per year. Inspect your gutters, too, for sagging or other signs of damage.
- Check downspouts. In addition to the gutters, make sure your downspouts are also free of congestion. If they are clogged, they can’t channel water away from your home.
- Remove excess debris. Even a small layer of debris accumulation could potentially lead to moisture build up or a roof collapse. If the debris piles up, carefully remove debris off the roof.
- Ensure proper ventilation. This is one of the most important elements in extending the life of your roof. Without proper ventilation, heat and moisture can accumulate in the attic, leading to roof rot and deteriorating insulation.
- Ensure adequate insulation. A properly insulated attic space will allow your roof to perform at peak efficiency.
- Look for storm damage. After a big storm, inspect the interior of your home for water stains. Check the outside for damaged shingles.
- Check for moss or algae. Have your roof cleaned if your roof is starting to collect moss or algae.
- Inspect flashings. Many roof leaks begin at flashing points, where the main body of the roof meets up with the home’s siding, chimneys or skylights. Check the flashings for holes, cracks, or other signs of damage or deterioration.
- Consult with an expert. An experienced roofer, like Urbach Roofing, can provide a no-obligation consultation to help you in maintaining and caring for your roof. Take advantage of our skill and know-how to keep your roof performing its best.
Call your experienced roofing contractor if you need help with roofing maintenance or need a quick inspection. Urbach Roofing, Inc. has been serving customers, all year round, for more than 40 years! Our family-owned business is known for quality, integrity and professionalism.
Call our office at (760) 471-5065 for your roofing estimate today!
From new roof installations to roof leak repairs, we offer reliable, affordable and professional roofing services throughout San Diego County, and we look forward to serving you!
Tips for Taking care of your Skylights
Many homeowners today are including skylights as part of an energy efficient build or makeover.
Why? Because when properly placed, they can help lower heating and lighting costs by making efficient use of solar heat and natural light. They’re not only good for your utility bills, but for the environment as well. However, as with all good things, you need to maintain them properly. Here are a few tips to help you do that.
1. Clean Glass Regularly
Ensure the glass is thoroughly clean; start by soaking it in clean water and mild soap. Use a mild, non-abrasive glass cleaner and a soft brush (or pad) to remove any dirt and debris, and a squeegee or lint-free cloth to wipe clean. Avoid using metal scrapers, blades or knives as they can scratch or damage the glass.
2. Pre-finished Wood Frames
If your skylights have wood frames, do an annual inspection before spring for signs of peeling, cracking or fading. Also ensure all exterior fasteners are secure, and that cladding, and flashing are free of excessive wear or scratches. Immediately replace any that are damaged or broken.
3. Venting and Electric Skylights
For venting skylights, make sure the mechanism that opens the sash is working problem-free by opening the skylights (turn off the power if it’s electric) and use a clean, dry towel to wipe off the chain.
4. Skylight Blinds
Consider installing blinds on your skylights if you already haven’t done so; they can help improve overall energy efficiency. Remote-controlled, solar-powered blinds allow you to easily open and close solar powered skylights, and shade them when the sun touches that part of the roof – improving the skylights’ energy performance rating by as much as 45%.
Your roofing system is a significant investment that you don’t want to fail prematurely. Unfortunately, it’s a common problem when your roof is old or was handled by inexperienced installers. With over 45 years of experience, Urbach Roofing is well aware of the common problems that homeowners face. We focus on three common causes of premature roof failure and provide the ways we deal with them.
- Poor Installation
Ensure the proper installation of your residential roofing in San Diego County by hiring a contractor who is certified or otherwise acknowledged by the manufacturer as an installer of the product you’ve chosen. Otherwise, you may experience issues and not have any way of getting them resolved except at your own expense. Proper installation starts with great care when putting everything in place; all seams should be sealed correctly. Urbach Roofing makes sure we get things right the first time. Each step of our installation process comes with comprehensive quality checks to avoid any hassle and we only install products we know and are trained on.
- Faulty Materials
Great roofs require both a conscientious installation and great materials. Urbach Roofing takes pride in our certifications from some of the best names in the roofing industry. We carry products from GAF, Owens Corning, CertainTeed, DaVinci, Boral, Eagle, Johns Manville and more. These are among the most durable, aesthetically pleasing, and long-lasting products today. Combined with our exceptional installation process, these products will free you from worrying about premature failure.
- Trapped Moisture
With coastal humidity, sometimes moisture problems affect many homes in San Diego County. While Urbach Roofing certainly provides timely and effective roof repairs throughout the County, you can deal with this problem through proper ventilation and even reflective coating. With first-hand knowledge of the specific climate conditions in our area, Urbach Roofing will make sure your roof is free from unwanted moisture.
Don’t fall victim to these avoidable problems. Let Urbach Roofing provide you with roofs from the best brands, and an installation you can depend on. Call us today at (760) 471-5065, and we’ll be more than happy to help you find the perfect solution to your roofing needs.